Sunday 10 September 2017

Diary of an Average Painter: Robots, Zombies and Superheroes

As part of my "don't buy new minis until the old ones are painted" campaign, I've been aiming for the low-hanging fruit; 50 zombies looks impressive for little time invested; undercoat, bit of a tidy up; the blood spatters and a dirty brown wash to cover a multitude of sins.

The models are Wargames Factory; I have been critical of their other plastic box sets, but with zombies the awkward sculpts/arm joins aren't an issue, and the plentiful extra bits are great. These are from their male and female zombie boxes.

50 zombies looks impressive; it cheered me up and inspired me to make more inroads into the lead mountain...

The crawling zombies were my favourites.... 

A bit of red paint hides much dodgy worksmanship...
Some Renedra gravestone sprues added a bit of variety to the bases...

In a nearby box I spotted some (EM4?) Terminators; they were also an easy painting job...

Plot twist: the Terminators are part of a US Army search-and-destroy team (this is before Skynet went rogue)

Old blog regulars may recognize this as an Infinity terrain project from way back in '12 or so...

Sometimes you need to call the professionals: the Sisters of the Blood Rose were founded by nuns in 1943 to take on Hitler's occult creations...

The Sisters wield not only swords but blessed relics from the war such as the sacred Sten of St. Josephs and the PPsh of Our Lady of Crimea.

..but sometimes you need superheroes.  I'm starting a new round of playtesting of my homebrew "modern pulp" rules and the zombies, Terminators and superheroes are to test melee horde, robot and magic/power rules respectively.

At the moment I'm eyeing off a few projects:
-Finishing my cowboys/Indians for my weird west setting
-Doing some pike+shot troops for a Inquisitors/Helldorado game
-Starting some LoTR Rohan
-rebasing some Necrons
-painting some Confrontation orcs in a red-skinned homage to Oni
-starting some French & Indian war models
-doing some cool undead pirates
-more undead (this time, from the 1900s)

...but I'll probably end up doing something totally random as I rummage through my shed...

No comments:

Post a Comment